A lot of people don’t know that they can get laser hair removal on darker skin and think that it’s only suitable for lighter skin. We have successfully treated thousands of Men and Women with darker skin types. Remember most Laser clinics do not have the technology or experience to treat darker skin types.
Why is darker skin tricky to treat?
• We need to look at 2 things here, first the Fitzpatrick Skin Type and second How the Laser works.
Fitzpatrick Skin Type
• Looking at the Fitzpatrick skin type gives us information on a particular skin type.
• This is a method used by dermatologist to divide different skin tones into skin types of 1-6.
• We don’t just look at the colour of the skin but take into account ethnicity and genetics. This background tells us how your skin reacts with lasers.
• Black skin will normally fall into skin type 6.
• Skin type 6 is the most complicated of skin types to treat.
• Skin type 6 has more Melanin than any other skin type.
How The Laser Works?
• Now if we go back to how laser hair removal works you will understand why.
• Laser hair removal works by a gentle burst of laser light which penetrates into the skin to the root of the hair. It targets the brown pigment (melanin) in the hair shaft. The hair absorbs the light energy and converts it to heat. Thus heating up the follicle and disabling the hair growth mechanism.
• Melanin is the main target for Laser. Melanin is what gives the skin colour and black skin has the most Melanin compared to other skin types.
• Some Lasers and IPLs can mistake the Melanin in the skin and cause complications such as burns and pigmentation particularly in Black skin.
• Our Laser for Black skin avoids this problem. Our specific Laser with the correct wavelength and depth of penetration allows the heat to absorb the follicles and avoid damaging the surrounding skin
Prices start from £39 for a single area but we have discounted packages for all our courses as well as interest free payment plans.